~ suki's corner - good reads~

on
Saturday, January 26, 2013
Besides playing video games and shopping I also love to read in my spare time (when I have any haha) I usually go through these phases where I'll buy a handful of books and practically won't sleep until I've finished all of them. So I decided that it'd be a great idea to share some of the books I've read and enjoyed! Like with everything else, I'm really picky with what I read but personally think everyone is hahaha I think most of these books are available on amazon so hopefully you can get your hands on them easily.

Actually one of my friends was surprised when I told her reading is a hobby of mine and I enjoy it very much. She said  that I seemed to be the type that would only read magazines or stuff related to celebrities (make up books etc.) -.- Which is ironic because it couldn't be far from the truth not that there's anything wrong with magazines. I used to read them in high school but stopped once I realized they repeat themselves tediously and I didn't have the funds to just throw away like that. I'm also very bad at remembering the names of the authors but I'll remember the name of the book. Yes this happens in class too, I remember the name of the piece and forget who made it =(

~ historical fiction ~
One of my favorite genres! I've enjoyed both books above. They were simple to read yet enjoyable. I'm not a fan of heavy reading and I feel that I do too much of it for school anyways =P Right now I really want to read Margret Atwood's The Penelopaid!


Guilty Pleasure. (I know these are geared for elementary schooled children lol) I love these Royal Diaries, I think I have about 5 or so but there are actually over a dozen I believe. I always buy them in hardcover in fact I don't even know if they are available in soft over but in the older ones they used to line the edges of the book in gold but they stopped that now, sad =(  Also because these are easy to read I'll usually try to and do read them in one night, what do you mean it's 4am?


~ fantasy and science fiction ~
The Hobbit. Enough said. I love it soooooo much and I'm also not one to baby my books very much as you can tell hahahaha I often bring this with me when I get my nails done =S I didn't take a photo of a science fiction book but I enjoy reading things about the future etc. I'm not really interested in elves, magicians or demons of any sort. The Hobbit is really the only exception and I only made it through book one of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I also read Harry Potter but I prefer the movies more.

Also has anyone read Alice in Wonderland before? I can't believe that's a childrens book. It's so trippy and wacked out I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it but I guess that's why I love reading it, it seems different every time!

~ others ~
I'm not sure what to categorize this one in but it's a-m-a-z-i-n-g! It was featured at the cashiers desk so I bought it last minute and I'm so happy I did! Taking a bit from wikipedia this books talks about the evolution of monogamy for humans as well as divorce and human mating systems. I admit, the first few chapters were somewhat of a grind because it talks a lot about theories and scientific stuff (note Darwin) but trust me, it's worth it! 

However I also want to note that there is much debate going on about the truth and myths about this book. From the background of the authors to the actual research claimed so please read with a pinch of salt =) There is also a book called Sex at Dusk (on amazon) that apparently "rebuttles" this book and I'm really interested in reading that too!

Also the bookstore is currently pushing out all these books are "the self" and "our self independence", the books all look so good but gosh when I turn it over to see the price tag there will be a 5$+ difference from here and the states T_T It adds up when you buy a lot of books! I also want to buy the Secret! 


The newest addition to my bookshelf! I've only read the first few pages but my gosh it's so good already! I can't wait to find time to really enjoy this book! I've always wanted to read one of those "guide to be a lady" book and I finally found one with a twist and humor!


Dunno why the page turned out this way again but I hope most of you can make out a bit of the page! I ordered the book off Modcloth, it was my first purchase with them and so far so good!

I usually like to read a book when I have lots of time to which basically means enough time for me to finish at least half the book because....I just can't put it down. I will neglect so much just to finish the darn book it's not even funny. One time I bought The Tiger Mother while grocery shopping and ignored the bf the entire night until I finished the book lol no he didn't get mad but I did feel a tad guilty =P (That is also one good book btw)


The box the book came in was adorable! Mushroom prints all around~

Have you ever read a book that was really good but just fell flat at the end? Or perhaps you read a book and realized after you finished it, that you didn't like it at all? I find this doesn't happen to me too often but when it does I usually feel somewhat disappointed or nothing at all, oddly enough. I just move on to the next book and hope it's better! I also like to browse for books online first, I find it more convenient than to go to the actual bookstore. I also like real books and don't know if I'll ever convert to an e-book reader though it is tempting because books are cheaper that way but but but....nothing beats flipping the pages, smelling the book and just....feeling it LOL

I hope everyone is having a good January and getting over the holiday blues (and bills lol) My month has been very nice so far but I know things are going to get hectic soon with all the exams and papers piling up!

16 comments on "~ suki's corner - good reads~"
  1. They all look very interesting, specially the historical fiction -so my kind- and the Jane Austen handbook, I might give it a try too!
    I've just started a new book, Rules For A Perfect Life, but the beginning is kinda off, I don't know :S:S
    And yes, nothing beats a real book over ebooks, which are also definitely not good for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyy:) aww its so funny because even though my friends know that I enjoy reading books, many people who just met me admitt that they didn't thought that way of me. I guess I also look like the celebrities-/magazines girl..:(
    The Jane Austen handbook looks very interesting and I believe I also read a book about Marie Antoinette but not by the same author! "If the people don't have bread, why don't they eat cake?" :D I forgot the actual quote and I don't believe she acctually said that but who knows...:)
    I haven't read the hobbit and I should!!:)

    Bye the way, remember us talking about lv bags? I am going to Edinburgh this Wednesday and to London in February so I think I will buy on in one of these towns...not sure yet though!! Ahh its so exciting >.< :p

    XOXO :) keki

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's the Marie Anoinette book like? I think my daughter may like to read it. She's obsessed with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Jane Austen and she has really quite some views on her own about family and how ladies should behave and how to carry oneself well.

    I have always wanted to read Alice in Wonderland. I love any whimsical stuff like photos, accessories, quotes from Alice in Wonderland. I love the twisted version and read the Disney version for children. But I must say the actual book is mind blowing. I read snippets and extracts taken from the book and it really isn't for children. The mish mash of language and its rules, the political satire etc is definitely for adults to appreciate. The quotes are great as well and I have a hunch that kids would not understand these.

    RYC:
    Yes it is and haha… We do look similar in some ways. Thank you for your concern, dear. I hope the nasty pain could go away too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on forgetting authors' names! I used to do this when I played violin, after a while you'd amass all these different concertos and minuets and whatnot and it would just get way to confusing. So if anyone asked I'd just say Vivaldi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhhhhhhhhhhh your recent reads look sooo soo good! i knew there was a reason we seemed so similar i loooooooooooooooooooove love reading period pieces too!! especially of royalty throughout europe!!!! omgosh i'm definitely going to read those two first books!

    the sex at dawn book sounds so interesting! the hubs and i always argue about whether humans were created to be monogamous or not!!!! i'm going to check that out too.. the jane austin handbook looks sooo cute omgosh! i love the drawlings!

    oh the elf blush i got is called fuchsia fusion! i loveee it it's such a pretty pink w/ little flecks of sparkle in it.. it's an EXACT dupe for my favorite chanel blush!

    and i TOTES agree w/ you on the NARS orgasm.. i bought it a few years ago.. and i tried it and i didn't get what the hooplah was all about.. i actually thought about buying it again recently just to try it out again because i thought maybe i used it wrong or something HAHAHA. i think my skin is pretty fair and it didn't look good on me either.. so the two of us are just the odd ones out hahahaha.. because it seems like everyone and their mother seems to swear by orgasm hahaha.

    hahah thanks i'm trying.. it's like salad and lean cuisines for me all day everyday.. unfortunately i'm in texas right now and the food here is not "lean" by any measure hahahahahah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow so many books you've got! :D the books i have read this few years were studying books omg XD when i had some spare time, mostly i prefer watching taiwan or Hong Kong (TVB) dramas whahahaa! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading is something I haven't had the time to indulge in such a long time! MA's The Penelopiad is actually pretty darn good! I don't like Margaret Atwood at all but I still enjoyed The Penelopiad. Thanks for doing these quick book reviews! I'm really interested in reading Sex at Dawn...

    I highly recommend e-books! It definitely isn't as beautiful and tactile as a real books but it saves sooo much space and easier to travel with. Once you get used to the "clicking" you'll end up enjoying it just as a real book ^-^

    The Handmaid's Tale from Margaret Atwood fell flat for me at the end >.< (My sister like her so I keep reading her books. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your book taste is very similar to my BF's mother (minus The Hobbit) lol! I can't believe you prefer the movies of Harry Potter over the books... its the other way around for me but I think its because I got introduced to HP by books first and when they cast the members for the movie, I never imagine Harry Potter be how he was in the movies lol!
    Also, I agree that I don't think I'd ever convert to a e-reader... its just not the SAME. Plus I always get headaches when I'm reading too much on a digital device.
    I hate it when I read a book and the ending is disappointing because it feels like I've been cheated of time - PRECIOUS time!! I think the very last time that happened was with a book called 'A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers' which is only a short novel so I guess I didn't waste THAT much time but still...

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice books, yah I definitely have the holiday blues right now! and I'm also currently re-reading the hobbit, amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't read non-fiction books at all!! And there are too many books I've given up on in my lifetime... one of which - Game of Thrones. WTF so boring. I don't know how you got through the Hobbit. I tried reading it and it bored me to death!!!!!

    I am compelled to buy that Jane Austen guide book now!

    So my book club is pretty much a group of my friends (or whoever else wants to join) gather together once a month and discuss a book that we've read. We pick a theme and then within that theme, each member takes turns picking books within that theme. Right now we're doing coming of age stories. We have our second meeting - just finished reading Perks of a wallflower. I think it's a good read. I cried a lot! Like.. A LOT.

    PS: Yes, it would be swell if you could help me get some Duffy merchandise if you do end up going to Japan in the Spring time :)

    PPS: Laduree key charm = mad expensive!!! :(

    Anyway, random story I thought I'd share with you. Yesterday, I was taking the subway to my friend's condo. It was a three seater. I was quietly reading my book when this old Asian guy sits next to me (when in fact the other seat was also empty). I figured, hey, it's cold. He must want to be warm. Pfft. And also I thought he seemed like the type to grope girls on the subway but I just laughed at the thought and continued reading my book. Then the next thing you know, I feel some sort of movement next to my arm. I figured he was just scratching himself. It persisted so I looked over and he pulled his arm away. I went back to reading my book but then I felt it again. This time, I looked over without turning my head and what happens? His fingers are entangled in my hair and he's freakin playing with my curls. WTF WTF WTF GROSS. :(

    Ok have a nice day! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahahah i used to be obsessed w the Royal Diaries when i was a kid! the books were so pretty. i felt fancy reading them ^o^

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely need to check out some of the books that you recommended. I haven't finished a book in a very long time. I prefer the felling of actual books too.

    Liz
    chewylove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the booktips, I'm
    reading The Tudors right now.
    It's settled in England in the
    middle age about a king and
    its mistress.. really good!
    I want to read Life of Pi,
    Norwegian Wood and
    The Casual Vacancy. I used to
    read magazines a lot but yes,
    all magazines are pretty much
    the same lol.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh! Been looking for some good reads haha will definitely have to try some of these :) Those royal diaries are a must for every elementary school girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always tell myself I should read more books but I never know where to start. Sometimes I just don't like the way an author writes so I can't finish a book but reading other people's recommendations is always nice. Some of the books you posted seem really interesting, I'm gonna look them up! KEEP POSTING :D~~~

    ReplyDelete