~ afternoon tea at fairmont pacific rim ~

on
Saturday, March 9, 2013
I went to the Fairmont Pacific Rim for afternoon tea a while back! I would have went to Shangri La if I knew their afternoon service was available daily too! The last time I checked they changed it to weekends only =S This hotel is only about a block away from their other Fairmont location so don't get confused >< 

I blogged about this place here before and you can go there to check out my terribly edited photos lol

Afternoon tea is held daily from 2pm-4pm in their lobby lounge and it is 35$/person. When we went they had their pianist there playing some lovely tunes but gosh was it packed! They only had a few waitresses and thus service was slow and it was hard to their attention. It wasn't a problem for my friend and I though since we went with the intention of chatting for hours and neither of us drove so parking wasn't an issue too but I can see it being a problem if you had finished your meal and was trying to get a waitresses attention because your parking is nearly up.

 
Two tiers of yummy goodness!

I always recommend friends to come here if they want to try something different from the traditional afternoon tea services. Of course there are various places that also take a different twist but this one definitely has a great asian twist.

Every time that I've been here I noticed that the scones come first. I think traditionally savories are eaten first but this is also the only place I know that serve nice hot scones! So I think they serve them first while they are fresh and warm, hot scones make a big difference! I also thought the size of the scones were perfect, many times scones are far too large and I usually don't finish the entire thing. Perhaps other places did have their scones hot but since I was never notified or bothered to touch my scones every time, I just thought they weren't warm.

Asian inspired cutlery. The bright orange plastic chopsticks reminded my friend and I of those noodle/food stands in Hong Kong. I think they're called "dai pai dong" in Cantonese.


Savories! 

Three sandwiches are sushi styled. Miso tofu, tuna tataki and crab and cucumber! I think I enjoyed the crab and cucumber best but the rice tasted a tad strong of vinegar. 

The other three sandwiches are the more classical such as truffled egg salad (divine!), prawn and avocado and the tandoori chicken. I love how each piece was so uniquely different!



The sweets! My favorite is the matcha lychee layer cake! It was delicious, not too sweet and neither flavors were too overwhelming, the balance was on spot, at least in my opinion lol Actually everything on this tier was amazing! The chocolate was rich and macron tasty! Even the tart which is something I usually don't enjoy *picky*


I don't know if I mentioned this before but I'm quite a picky eater. I've loosened up a bit over the years, I even enjoy green onions, peppers and spicy food now but if I order a dish I don't like I have a hard time finishing it and I usually don't. Most of the time that's when the bf takes over and will trade his dish for mine and then I feel guilty -.- I've been googling some fun facts about afternoon tea, since I love it so much I though I ought to learn a bit more about it lol and learned some interesting things! Hopefully I'll get to share them a bit on my next tea post!
16 comments on "~ afternoon tea at fairmont pacific rim ~"
  1. Aw your sweet post just made my day, Suki ♥ I am super ill and have to stay in bed (with my laptop of course :> hehe) and your pictures are so cute.

    I can imagine the matcha lycee cake was your favourite, it looks very yummy. I am not a picky eater but I used to be ;D I still remember one awful evening when we had dinner with my father's workmate and his wife made her 'speciality': cold mushrooms with a weird sauce. I hated every bite but out of politeness I had to finish it up :/
    And I also trade dishes with my bf when I don't like something in a restaurant :D Don't feel guilty! I think they enjoy doing us little favours like that ♥

    Hope you have a nice day!
    Keki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks divine. I would love to try all that food. My mouth is watering just looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah~ I love your afternoon tea posts ^w^
    so many cute food <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two of my favourite things: (matcha) cake and sushi! I'm mighty jealous of you now.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the food looks so cute and beautiful. I would love to get afternoon tea with my friends one day. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love love love your high tea posts! the food look so yummy and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh omgosh this tea looks so good! i love the asian twist.. i can't believe they have sashimi at the tea hahaha that's so unique! i've never ever seen that before! i love matcha green tea dessert anything i think before it's not too sweet and it's almost like palette cleansing.

    oh i dunno i'm not really good at the bun thing hahaha.. but what i do do is i curl my hair and then pull it into a really super high pony tail.. and then wrap it around and then pin.. i've found with my hair.. because it's really slippery and fine that when you curl it it holds the bun and gives it shape and a little more volume better :)

    OMG you have no idea.. when we first moved to germany.. the bahtroom signs are obviously in german and i was like 'shit' so i went into a bathroom and a guy was coming OUT! AHAHAHA. he gave me the strangest look.. sometimes even now i forget which one is man or women.. because woman in german is "damen" and man "herran" so i always have to pause because "damen".. is like "dame".. but then herren makes me think of "her" so sometimes even know i have brain farts hahaha!

    omgosh actually i'm right with you.. i feel like i've been traveling SOOOO SO much the last few years.. ESPECIALLY the last year that i TOTALLY don't want to travel anymore.. i want to save money! i can't believe i'm saying that hahahah!!

    good luck on school sweetie.. jia you (add gas) hahahaha :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks divine! And oh, that matcha lychee layer cakes sounds particularly delicious! I need to go rummage through the pantry for something sweet to eat now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one if my favorite afternoon tea place! Oh gosh, driving anywhere near downtown is a nightmare and I avoid at all cost. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything's so delicious! Yummy:)

    http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hightea! No wonder it's packed,
    I mean live piano play? Play Yiruma
    please :P

    I love that it comes with hot scones!
    I bet that taste 100x better!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaah yummy you went high tea again! :D I also have high tea last week, but that restaurant was not yummy! -_-'' will post the pictures later hahaha xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum!! that looks like a lot of food..& it's all presented so nicely! so cool to see chopsticks with afternoon tea hahah

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. * Your food posts make me dieeeee *___* Everything looks so delicious I just want to fly there and pig out haha xD

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see what a tea person you are. I've seen a couple of tea posts from you ever since I read your blog.

    It is nice that the hotel serves food with an Asian twist. I always love fusion food. Oh and I love savoury food for tea a lot more than sweet food coz somehow I would get sick of the sweet taste and need the savoury to balance up. Your savoury food looks good! And you are so right about warm scones of the correct size. Yummy. Oh and those orange chopsticks. Hahaha... They look like those plastic ones we eat from at hawker centres and food court. The hotel should consider investing in more elegant chopsticks befitting of their status. I love matcha drinks and desserts a lot and I think I would love the matcha lychee too.

    I think it is good that you have slowly learnt to embrace more types of food. But then again what are bfs and hubbies for but to finish up or to exchange their dish with ours. Hehehe...

    RYC:
    I haven't asked you before, do you reside in Canada your whole life or did you shift from somewhere? It sure seems like so far, only Singaporean and Malaysian Chinese know of Lo Hei. Is Cantonese your dialect?

    Thank you for your compliments and oh I think you should be fine if you clean your lenses thoroughly.

    Ooh... just with the similarity of being morbid gals, I could count you as one of my favourite blogger friend. Hahaha... No don't run away from me!


    ReplyDelete