~ afternoon tea - patisserie fur elise ~

on
Thursday, December 19, 2013
I have been putting off going to Patisserie Fur Elise for far too long! I got the chance to try it on a nice (dry)  but cold day last week. The tea house is located in an easy to reach part of town, fairly close to the Vancouver Public Library and just across the Cambie bridge. I made our reservations using their online system and it worked fairly well, I received a confirmation email the next morning. Afternoon tea is 30$ per person and reservations are highly recommended as I had a reservation on a Wednesday at their opening time (1pm) and the place was packed.



The tea house was located within a heritage house which really added to the charm.


The large light box was helpful in locating their tea house and all the waitress wore that adorable apron dress you see through that window!


When I went in there was no one by the counter on the right so I just helped myself up the stairs where the tea rooms are.

I was promptly seated in a room with four other tables, given menus and I waited for my friend. The tea came in cute teapots and we had different tea cups too. 

Right about now I should probably note that it will probably take you two full hours to finish tea here as the service is a bit on the slow side, it seemed at the time there were only two girls running the whole place.

My friends pretty mango tea! I had the Latte Macchiato tea myself, it wasn't bad but just tasted like a caramel black tea to me.


 ~ our tiers ~

~ savories ~
The sandwiches and quiche were of the standard variety (doesn't mean they were bad). The prosciutto and brie croissant was the biggest disappointment for me. The prosciutto was too salty, I could hardly taste the brie and the croissant itself was toasted far too much, it was hard and too crunchy to enjoy. The scone was tasteless so I had to smother it with jam. I enjoyed all the other sandwiches though.

~ sweets ~
I liked everything here besides the German Christmas bread. The coffee macaron was good, sweet enough to even out the bitter coffee taste. The pecan tart was nice and I enjoyed the tiramisu and strawberry mousse cakes. (Although I do think that the tiramisu tasted more like a light cheesecake)

They have a bakery counter downstairs where some goodies are for sale.




The stand had some jewelry and knick knacks (that I presume) were for sale.


Overall my experience at  Patisserie Fur Elise was quite positive, the waitresses were all very sweet and the ambiance was perfect, that is if you're looking for the ultimate girly princessy tea room. The food was not the greatest but I've also had worse.
5 comments on "~ afternoon tea - patisserie fur elise ~"
  1. The house is so cute!! I love the decor inside too.
    btw I'm not sure why but your blog doesn't seem to work on Bloglovin'..when I click on a new post it said the blog has been privatized for invited readers only? :s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you're back! I also experienced the "private blog" message too and thought you were gonna disappear. But you're back! :D

    Everything looks so cute. I still haven't gone to afternoon tea yet. I love tea sandwiches and pastries but I just need to find someone to go with.

    This place looks so charming but it also has some sleek modern edge to it. I love the tea pot and cups. They're so cute! In the picture where you're pouring the tea, is it going from the little cup down to the big cup? Like what is that little saucer cup for? Or is it just part of the decoration?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ♥♥ Yay a post from you!! :) I am so happy :) I should be studying but now I have to procrastinate! You are the only blogger who manages to make food-and eating out posts interesting. I feel like you literally take us with you when you have afternoon tea. The name of the patisserie is so adorable and I can actually play the piece "Fur Elise" on piano ♥ The dress the waitress wore looks amazing, sometimes I love being taken back to earlier times when woman/waitresses dressed in such a feminine way.

    I wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year 2014 ♥
    (btw I kind of think that I might buy an expensive bag again this year..oh-uh!! Then I will need your advice again :D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. omggggosh this place is sooo so cute! everything is adorable.. especially the mirrors on the wall that are lighted in blue i love that detail! sad the food is just ok.. but sometimes i go to UBER cute tea places just because of how cute it is hahahaha.

    and just a fyi. german christmas bread in germany doesn't taste that great either so i don't think it's there's doesn't taste good.. it's just german christmas bread just doesn't taste very good period. HAHAHA. it's just tradition.. it's like fruitcake for americans.. you eat it every christmas.. but you sort of hate it too hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Lovely lovely photos. The place itself looks so cute. I would love to have tea in such a lovely place even if the food isn't excellent. You are indeed a TEA EXPERT. I wouldn't have known all the tea vocabulary and terms you used to describe your tea. The photos of the food look really delicious and I would have been convinced they were good if not for your accompanying text.

    I like German Christmas cookies. Not sure if they are the same as what you have. I tried it at my gal pal's place and I love it.

    ReplyDelete